Monday, August 9, 2010

First night at VTS

Here at VTS students occasionally gather in the evenings for beer and conversation behind Moore Hall (one of the dorms). It was mostly returning students, but new students are invited as well. Now, anyone who knows me, knows I am not comfortable in large groups of people I don't know. So when I was invited I could have stayed in my room and been completely happy. But I went, and it went pretty much the way I anticipated. Everyone was very nice, but I had almost nothing to contribute to the conversation. So I did what I always do in these types of situations, I listened. I listened to people talk about their summers, I listened to them reminisce about last year. I listened to one conversation for a while, then to another, and then back to the first conversation again, and so on. Part of the problem with doing this is everyone kind of forgets you are there, so it is almost like you are eavesdropping on them. And when suddenly you get up and say goodnight it can be a little awkward. Well, I did my part, I nursed my beer for an hour and then I left. And now I have a sour stomach. I can't wait until classes start. It will help to have a specific task; a context in which to interact with other people.

Anyway, I love my room. It is tiny, like a little monks cell. I am completely unpacked and I already feel comfortable. Classes don't start until Wednesday, so I will spend tomorrow trying to find my way around.

I am sitting here desperately trying to recall all their names. Dawn, Joel, Ramel, Audrey, Charles and his fiance Kona, Chad, Missy, Whitney and Grant. I don't know how many of these I got wrong. I am terrible with names, so probably a few.

1 comment:

  1. Today is Wednesday! How was your first day at school? :)

    ReplyDelete