Tuesday, November 16, 2010

God says, "Don't be a Dick"

This all comes out of a facebook conversation having to do with prostitution. It lead into a conversation about morality. There is a moral relativism in the secular world, and part of me understands why. We are living in a post-modern society in which absolutes are not taken lightly. While I don't like absolutes, I am not a moral relativist. I think there are good reasons we draw lines in the sand and say, 'this point is too far'. This should not be unexpected seeing as I am a Christian, but I don't think God assigned moral rules to us just to prevent us from having fun. If you look at the 10 commandments, 7 of them have to do with how we treat each other. They are there to keep peace and harmony between neighbors, and breaking them causes trouble, not just for one person, but for the whole society. We are not islands out here, we still have to live with each other, and the crappy ways in which we treat each other have dramatic affects on how people value themselves, and then in turn how they value others.
We have responsibilities to each other, and we fail, we fail those responsibilities all the time. I understand being sceptical about people who use morality as a way to feel superior to others, but that is not what it is supposed to be about. It is about saying to yourself, 'gee I would hate to be treated in this way, I don't think I will do that to someone else.' It's about trying really hard to see where someone else is coming from and then saying, 'well I am not going to add to your pain today.' No, morality is not relative, not when it is done right.

No comments:

Post a Comment