Thursday, July 29, 2010

Shireen goes to church...

I have a confession to make. I have not been to church since I left Los Angeles, Until today that is. I know, I know, bad postulant! Anyway, I went to my mother's church this morning. Obviously there were things that are not really my preference, liturgically that is. But there were things that I rather liked. The prayers of the people were read in a way that included the entire congregation. Anyone who felt moved to read the names was allowed to. You would think that this would cause long pauses or make the prayers of the people seem disorganized, but it was not like that at all. It went smoothly and quickly and really seemed like the prayers of the people. That being said, I have been rather spoiled at St. Thomas. Ya know it has been 5 years since I have gone this long without participating in some kind of liturgy, I got truly homesick during the service.

The sermon was good. All the readings had to do with idolatry in some form or another. I think we do make idols of too many things. It is such an easy thing to do; to get so wrapped up in a desire or a feeling of being wronged, that you give it more importance than it deserves. Money is the most obvious idol, but there are plenty of other things that can be just as distracting. A desire for personal justice, a need for something to be perfect, politics...the list could really be endless. Idols, idols everywhere and what are we to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment