Saturday, July 16, 2011

Take Me Along

So I'm back in L.A. now. It feels pretty much the same as it used to. I don't know what I expected to be different, me perhaps. Getting here was pretty fun; when I got to the airport I realized that I had a first class ticket. A family friend used his airline miles to get the ticket, but I had no idea he was treating me to first class. I've never flown first class before. It was strange, I used to always look at the first class passengers as I boarded a plane and try to guess what they did for a living or what circumstances arose to allow them to afford a first class ticket. Now I was sitting in first class and I could see the same question on the faces of those who passed by me into steerage. It was a strange experience overall. I was reminded of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry flies first class and Elaine has to fly coach because, as Jerry explains, she wouldn't know what she'd be missing. "Our goal should be a society without classes!"

I ordered a drink. Not because I particularly wanted one, but because I was sure that even though I was sitting in first class they would charge me. They didn't. I also ate a full hot meal which is amazing because I detest airplane food. I haven't eaten airplane food since I was 9 years old.

I find airplane travel fascinating; a whole bunch of people travelling to the same location. I never wonder about people as much as I do when I am on a plane. I wonder what is taking them to the same city as me at the same time as me. Are they actors or writers? Tourists, maybe? Seminarians, perhaps?

Okay, here is a video to celebrate the beauties of air travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment